Words from a Recently Diagnosed Introvert

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

6 Degrees of Hutu

Some strange and serendipitous things have happened in the last couple of weeks:

1) The pope dies and I have visions of him in my periphery
2) I get re-inspired to listen to lots of Ricki Lee Jones
3) I unwittingly rent "Hotel Rwanda" within a few days of the 11th anniversary of the 1994 genocide
4) I discover that Ricki Lee Jones has a link on her website to photos taken during the genocide, by a photographer friend of hers
5) I learn that the Rwandan people are 90% Catholic
6) Several members of the Rwandan Catholic diocese - priests, bishops, and nuns condoned and even aided in the killing of Tutsis and moderate Hutus.
7) The Vatican chose not to excommunicate most of the aforementioned
8) The Pope hadn't visited Rwanda since 1990
9) I rediscover that in 1984, ten years prior to the genocide, Ricki Lee Jones recorded a song called, "Theme for the Pope"
10) In the '30s the Pope enrolled in a theater arts program to study playwrighting

Weird.

I'm pretty sure that if I did some more stealth research I would come up with some evidence that Ricki Lee Jones had an affair with Don Cheadle. Or that she's the Pope's love child. One of the two.

2 Comments:

  • Hmm- for me #6 and #10 meet here: http://www.7stages.org/cgi-bin/MySQLdb?VIEW=/plays/viewone.txt¤tplay=1

    Maybe RLJ should write the score for the musical version? (They're making musicals out of everything these days...)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 AM  

  • Strange they didn't put some of this in the movie....i happened to see it about two weeks ago. I am now tempted to pick the brains of some of the Lost Boys that live in my little corner, but I'm not sure, i really good at making things worse.

    By Blogger janXjoplin, at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home