Words from a Recently Diagnosed Introvert

Friday, March 25, 2005

Fungi Love

I love mushrooms. I love mushrooms so much that yesterday I went to a special mushroom store and spent $15 on a handful of the most scrumptuous mushrooms I've ever eaten. They are called King Trumpets and are the most meaty, flavorful 'shrooms ever.

But I love 'em all: Shiitake, Oyster, Maitake, Portabello, Bear's Head, Button, Tree, those little tiny stringy white ones whose name I don't remember. The more exotic, the better. The more resembling a nasty moldy growth, the better. I feel woodsy and earthy when I eat them. I feel closer to the dirt.

The SF Board of Supervisors named April 1 Far West Fungi Day after the local mushroom farm by the same name. This day is meant to honor these local heroes for their invaluable contribution to our culinary intelligence and feeling of deep connection to the dirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home