Words from a Recently Diagnosed Introvert

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Feeling Fatalistic

Hunter Thompson killed himself on Sunday. On Monday, I was glancing through a book on Industrial Ecology and unwittingly opened up to a chapter that begins with a quote from Hunter Thompson. The essence of the quote is basically that we're slowing killing ourselves.

Is Hunter Thompson's suicide a canary in the coalmine?

When the most sophisticated subversive voices of our time brutally waste themselves it makes you wonder if they can predict something the rest of us can't.

Or, maybe he was just a paranoid drug addict who for a long time had a threadbare hold on life and with a little rehab, therapy, and yoga would have lived and written for another 20 years.

Whatever it is, it's sad. I think I can confidently say that these days journalism schools aren't churning out that quality of muckraker.

7 Comments:

  • I read "The Hitchikers Guide to the Galazy" a long time ago, and I'm not sure if I'd still like it the way I did when I was 11, but one part that is still cool to me is that a few eeeks before the world blows up, all the dolphins mysteriously disappear. It's later revealed that the dolphins knew what was coming and were escaping certain death.

    Fascinating thought of HST being a canary in the coalmine, but I think it's more that the demons that help you to create great art often overtake the artist. He was lucky to make it to 2005.

    By Blogger d, at 11:49 AM  

  • Well said. And, with that logic, Paris Hilton is sure to live to be 150 or so.

    By Blogger rigmor, at 5:31 PM  

  • hello bros. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that meticulous brand. The prices as regards the sneakers were about 180 bucks on every page. But for all I bring about this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you say about it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:03 PM  

  • good morning ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices for the velcros are around 330 bucks on every page. But finally I set this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what can you tell me about these?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:01 PM  

  • Hello. And Bye.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:50 AM  

  • hello fellas. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that meticulous model. The prices for the sneakers were around 170 bucks on every site. But definitively I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what is your opinion?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:12 PM  

  • hi there friends. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that singular make. The prices as regards the boots are all over 200 bucks everwhere. But for all I bring about this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what can you tell me about these?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home