Words from a Recently Diagnosed Introvert

Monday, March 07, 2005

Who needs credentials?

So Bono is in the running to be the new President of the World Bank, eh?
Why?

Because he's a nice guy? Because he's a good musician? Because he spent a twenty seconds of his life contemplating the human rights, AIDS, and economic development crises in Africa then proceeded to throw his money and clout to a few aid organizations?

How does being a rock or movie star give one the credentials needed to be an ambassador to a developing country or the head of the most influential economic development body in the world?

Is it really enough to be Angelina Jolie and passionate about refugee orphans in Cambodia to make you the highest ranking diplomat to a country with incredibly complex socio-political and economic issues within a larger conflict zone?

I don't get it.

I mean I get the part about needing A-list celebrities to take up the gauntlet of a cause to call mainstream attention and attract funding. (I mean I'm fine with the fact that Glen Close was invited to the World Social Forum and I wasn't.) What I don't get is what anyone thinks Bono or Angelina Jolie know about poverty, politics, or the complex world of international development. I mean, really, take away their hollywood cache and I'm not sure what would stand up in an job interview.

1 Comments:

  • I know. That's what I'm saying. Altho, I hope I don't want to eat my words when Bush gets his way and appoints his dick-head nominee.

    By Blogger rigmor, at 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home