Words from a Recently Diagnosed Introvert

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Accordion

So, this is what happens when an introvert poses as an extrovert:
when it's time for lay offs and cut backs, the extrovert poser doesn't get the ax, but rather a promotion, because "we can't do it without ya, kid."

The introvert is secretly saying to herself, "shit, I really wanted to be laid off, collect unemployment for a few months, and then move to France to be a gardener and play accordion."

The extrovert fake, however, responds confidently with, "yes, of course. I completely understand your difficult position and doing more with less is actually my forte. Whittling a 14 person staff down to seven is a tough decision, but someone had to do it and ultimately it's better for all of us. I'll go out and begin presenting this entirely new strategy next week. Thank you for this challenging opportunity."

The introvert continues to talk secretly to herself, "Why me? I'm just a procrastinator who bullshits well. Why didn't you let the pregnant women keep her job? Or the mother of two? Or the sole bread winner who supports her grad student fiance? Or the person who works 80 hr weeks and produces more than all of us put together? I'm a fake!

My boss likes me as an extrovert. Would she still like me as an introvert?

3 Comments:

  • {sounds of an accordian drift over the French countryside}

    I love my Ti-dog
    I call her my Weaze
    She sits in my garden
    Sniffing the breeze

    (translated from the original French)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:48 PM  

  • Here here. Represent for all the introverts out there.

    /Introvert pride

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:57 PM  

  • Great Blog! I also have a site about castiglione accordions
    . You can check it out at castiglione accordions


    Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

    FREE DVD Camcorder

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home